Banner picture of Hawks players

Win for M1's

13 March 2022, 14:00, Banbury Road North (Near)

Men's 1s 2 - 1 Teddington Men's 1s

  • Men's 1s v Teddington 001
  • Men's 1s v Teddington 002
  • Men's 1s v Teddington 003
  • Men's 1s v Teddington 004
  • Men's 1s v Teddington 005
  • Men's 1s v Teddington 006
  • Men's 1s v Teddington 007
  • Men's 1s v Teddington 008
  • Men's 1s v Teddington 009
  • Men's 1s v Teddington 010
  • Men's 1s v Teddington 011
  • Men's 1s v Teddington 012
  • Men's 1s v Teddington 013
  • Men's 1s v Teddington 014
  • Men's 1s v Teddington 015

Off the back of three straight defeats, the M1's entertained Teddington at BRN on Sunday, who themselves were unbeaten with four wins in the five games since the league programme resumed after the mid-season break.  Nevertheless, Hawks were determined to change their fortunes, having grown a little weary in recent weeks of having to explain lost games despite playing well. So it was that both sides started brightly, but it was Hawks who could claim to have made the greater number of circle entries in the first quarter, despite no tangible outcome.  Their best chance probably fell to Ed Tristem seconds before the quarter break, but one touch too many meant that his shot was blocked and the 0-0 stalemate prevailed going into the second quarter.  Teddington won the first penalty corner of the game early in the second quarter, but their first effort was bravely charged down by Drew Blackburn 'running down the barrel' and the retake was fired wide.  Four minutes later, Hawks opened the scoring when Kiran Patel timed a tackle to perfection in midfield and after riding a poor attempt at a tackle forced the ball to Archie Winter inside the circle.  Showing great composure Winter then found a pass around the advancing Teddington keeper to a waiting Tristem who had a straightforward finish.  By now Hawks were playing with encouraging fluidity and Teddington seemed to become frustrated, leading the green card count by 2-1.  Inside the last five minutes of the first half Hawks had two chances to extend their lead, first when Patel fed the ball to Ted Bennett whose shot flashed wide of the far post, and then when they won their first penalty corner of the game - Jack Biggs effort being comfortably saved.  Seven minutes into the second half Hawks won their second and last penalty corner, when a Teddington defender was shown a yellow card after needlessly hitting the ball away to prevent Hawks from taking a free hit.  But this time Biggs fired wide.  Both sides probed for openings throughout the third quarter without success but Hawks finally gave themselves some breathing space two minutes into the final quarter when Bennett instigated a turnover on the Teddington 23 line and the ball was passed between Winter and Tristem before finding its way back to Bennett, who finished clinically from twelve yards. Hawks had to defend further Teddington penalty corners but looked to be in control of the outcome of the game, especially when Teddington were shown their second yellow card of the game with five minutes left on the clock.  But three minutes from time Hawks cheaply gave the ball away inside their own half leading to another penalty corner to the visitors.  This time a neat move for a deflected goal gave Teddington hope that they might yet win something from the game.  Hawks however had other ideas and played out the final few minutes of the game mostly in Teddington's half.  A deserved 2-1 win and another home game next Sunday when Brighton are the visitors to BRN.


More about our sponsors
Sponsorship packages available
How to Join Fantasy League
Image Gallery Icon

Recent Photo Galleries

Recent Match Results

19 May

Mixed A 2 - 2 Mighty Maximus Mixed

18 May

Mens A 5 - 1 Banbury Mens B
Mens C 2 - 7 Witney Mens B

17 May

Ladies A 7 - 1 Witney Witney A

16 May

Ladies D 4 - 2 Wallingford Ladies