Banner picture of Hawks players

M1's Capitulate in Canterbury

10 October 2021, 12:45, Polo Farm

Men's 1s 1 - 5 Canterbury Men's 1s

The M1's travelled to Canterbury on Sunday looking to build on the promising results from their opening two games in National League Division One.  However, early promise quickly evaporated and with the concession of four goals in the second half came a realisation that they are going to have to perform much better in upcoming games if those early results are not very quickly to become a distant memory.  Hawks started brightly enough and forced their first penalty corner after just two minutes, but this was comfortably dealt with by the home 'keeper.  Canterbury won their first penalty corner nine minutes later, but failed to execute and the first quarter ended with both sides having made several circle penetrations without really threatening the scoreboard.  The second quarter saw the start of Hawks demise as they inexplicably started to miss passes, mis-trap the ball and generally lack any coherent pattern to their play.  After a couple of failed penalty corners, Canterbury eventually took the lead when a quickly taken free hit found a striker free in the circle who had the time to finish comfortably.  Despite Hawks deteriorating play, they manage to force an equaliser two minutes before half time as a result of determined play from Ed Tristem around the top of the circle.  The ball was forced to Ted Bennett who had the time to lift over the 'keeper and give Hawks parity going into the half time break.  Hawks play continued to be disjointed in the second half and they continually struggled to play the ball out of defence.  Hawks could not find their men or string passes together and frequent turnovers invited pressure from the home side.  A penalty corner brought an inevitable lead four minutes before the end of the third quarter and when the quarter break failed to arrest the slide, Craig Boyne immediately gave his side the comfort of a two goal lead with a crisp reverse stick strike from the edge of the circle.  A further penalty corner conceded by Hawks two minutes later for needlessly knocking the ball away produced a fourth goal and Hawks misery was complete eight minutes from time when soft defending gifted Canterbury the opportunity of a fifth goal, which was gleefully taken.  A minute later a rare foray into the home side's circle brought Hawks a penalty corner but in keeping with their second half performance poor execution lead to the routine breaking down.  Hawks only real open play threat in the whole of the second half came with just two minutes left on the clock when Louis Wright found space wide on the right to force his way into the circle.  Although the play came to nothing directly, the passage of play did lead to Hawks winning two late penalty corners. But as with their all round performance, both came to nothing and Hawks were left to face the long trip home with much to ponder.  Two home games follow, the first next Sunday afternoon when Bath will be the visitors to BRN.  A great improvement will be required.




More about our sponsors
Sponsorship packages available
How to Join Fantasy League
Image Gallery Icon

Recent Photo Galleries

Recent Match Results

17 May

Ladies A vs Witney Witney A

16 May

Ladies D 4 - 2 Wallingford Ladies

12 May

Mixed B 2 - 2 Abingdon Mixed

11 May

Mens B 6 - 1 Oxford Hawks Mens C