So let's not dwell on the result today, Witney deserved the win and we need to focus on the game next week. Remember, no one is perfect - that's why pencils have rubbers! But for those of you that tried Sherene's cup cakes here's the receipe - enjoy.
For the Cupcakes:
• 2 cups (250g) All Purpose Flour
• 1.5 cups (300g) Brown Sugar
• 1 tsp Baking Powder
• 1 tsp Baking Soda
• 1/2 tsp Salt
• 2 tsp Cinnamon
• 1 tsp Nutmeg
• 9 oz (250g) Grated Carrot
• 2 Flax Eggs
• 1/2 Cup (120ml) Vegetable Oil (I used Olive)
• 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
• 1 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
• 1 cup (100g) Walnuts (chopped)
• 1 Tbsp Orange Zest
For the Orange Cream Frosting:
• 3 cups (375g) Powdered (Confectioners) Sugar
• 1/3 cup (75g) Vegan Butter
• 2 Tbsp Fresh Orange Juice
• 1 Tbsp Orange Essence
• Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
• Sift the flour and add to a mixing bowl with the brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Mix together.
• Grate around 2-3 carrots and weigh them out, then add to the mixing bowl.
• Prepare your flax eggs by mixing 2 Tbsp flaxseed meal with 6 Tbsp Hot Water and allowing to sit for a while to become gloopy.
• Add the flax eggs to the mixing bowl along with the vegetable oil, vanilla and apple cider vinegar.
• Mix in together. The batter will be very thick but keep mixing until it starts to meld together and form a thick batter.
• Prepare your orange zest by grating the skin of a whole orange. Get together roughly a tablespoon of zest and add to your mixing bowl.
• Place the walnuts in the food processor and pulse until they’re broken up into small pieces.
• Add the walnuts and mix in.
• Divide the batter evenly between 12 cupcake liners. It’s best to use cupcake liners that are fairly high along the sides for these, or choose muffin liners. This is to avoid ‘muffin top’ that can happen with these cupcakes.
• Place into the oven and bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean (or very close to).
• Remove from the cupcake tray immediately and place onto a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
• When the cupcakes are completely cool, prepare your frosting.
• Add the powdered sugar, vegan butter, orange juice and orange essence to an electric mixing bowl and starting slow gradually increase speed until the frosting is thick and smooth.
• The frosting should be very thick. If it’s not then add more powdered sugar until it’s the right thickness.
• Pipe or spread onto the cupcakes and decorate with orange zest