Banner picture of Hawks players

M1's in Goal Fest

16 February 2020, 14:00, Havant College

Men's 1s 6 - 5 Havant Men's 1s

The M1’s braved Storm Dennis and made the road trip to the south coast on Sunday to play 2nd placed Havant.  In what proved to be a hugely entertaining game despite the filthy weather conditions, Hawks prevailed by the odd goal in eleven!  Havant opened the scoring in the 4th minute with a swift counter attack which was finished with a crisp reverse stick strike which flew past Chris Price in the Hawks goal.  Hawks equalised seven minutes later when Jack Biggs converted from a penalty corner.  By now Hawks held the balance of play but two unfortunate slips in the difficult conditions were both punished to the fullest extent early in the second quarter and in the space of four minutes Hawks suddenly found themselves two goals in arrears.  But Hawks regained their composure and continued to probe away at the Havant rear guard, achieving parity just minutes before the half time break.   First Tom Miotto forced a penalty corner in the 30th minute and although Biggs’ initial strike was well saved, Ted Bennett was on hand to ram the ball home past Polish international keeper Maciej Pacanowski from a tight angle.  Three minutes later Andy Watts finished deftly off his reverse stick when following up a rebound off Pacanowski.  The half time break gave the players a chance to catch their breath with the scores tied at 3-3, but the respite was brief and the score board was soon ticking over again when Havant regained the lead ten minutes into the second half with a crisp finish into the bottom corner.  Hawks once again showed excellent resilience and composure and a swift counter attack of their own saw Freddie Smith make a perfectly judged reverse stick pass to put Ed Tristem in the clear with a 1-on-1 with the home keeper.  As Tristem rounded Pacanowski, he was brought down and Jack Biggs converted the resultant penalty stroke emphatically.  Hawks then took the lead themselves for the first time in the game when good approach play down the right resulted in Tristem returning the favour by finding Smith who spun and finished from close range for his first EHL goal.  Again a lead was pegged back when Atiq Arshad levelled things up at 5-5 with a good finish from a tight angle but two minutes later Hawks scored what proved to be the decisive goal when, with ten minutes left on the clock, good work from captain Olie Lobo and a cross from Rob Dunnill saw the ball fall to Tristem who finished by lifting over the keeper from three yards out.  An outstanding performance full of character right across the team and with Hawks now starting to climb their way up the league table, they look forward to a visit from Teddington to BRN next Saturday.


More about our sponsors
Sponsorship packages available
How to Join Fantasy League
Image Gallery Icon

Recent Photo Galleries

Recent Match Results

18 May

Mens A vs Banbury Mens B
Mens C vs Witney Mens B

17 May

Ladies A 7 - 1 Witney Witney A

16 May

Ladies D 4 - 2 Wallingford Ladies

12 May

Mixed B 2 - 2 Abingdon Mixed